My Carry-On Bag

Thursday 20 August 2015


 Hello, everybody!
So, I'm one of these weird people who actually loves to pack. Always have, and I would probably pack for anyone else who didn't want to do it. After spending a month traveling to various cities in America I quickly learned what to bring on flights. Since I recently went on a mid-winter vacation I thought I would share what I took with me. I kept it simple this time, especially since it was a day flight and I would just end up watching movies anyway. Hopefully this helps anyone who might be traveling soon or those who hate thinking about what to pack! 
For my flight to Hawaii I split my carry-on items into two bags:
  • Backpack - It is so much easier to carry one of these instead of a heavy shoulder bag. Everything in here is pretty much anything that I didn't want to put in my check-in bag in case it got damaged or lost e.g my camera(s). 
  • Tote bag - I put everything in this one that I might need during the flight for easy access. You could just as easily use you handbag, but my laptop wouldn't fit in my backpack so I needed something bigger.


 Backpack
After lugging a ridiculously heavy shoulder bag around America for a month I was determined to take a backpack with me instead for my trip. I bought this one from Kathmandu when it was on sale, and I love it because it has double security with a zip and the buckles so I feel safer. Plus, it's the perfect size to fit everything I need, without being too big and bulky. To keep my camera nice and safe I also bought this camera bag insert from Aliexpress for super-cheap and it fits perfectly.


Tote Bag Items


Notebook/Pens
You never know when an idea will strike you, so I like to keep this close throughout the flight. This is also my "List Journal" so I would be pretty upset and lost if it disappeared with my check-in bag.

Octopus Hair clip
I always like to have my hair up when I travel, although I usually wait until I get onto the plane since it's my lazy Sunday hairstyle. I just have to say how much I love this hair-clip! It's a lot easier than using a hair tie, as you can get all of you hair on top of you head and it won't dig into you as you watch movies or try to sleep.
 Instax Camera 
These are so much fun to take on holiday, but it was definitely not going in my check-in bag in case it got damaged. I just brought it with me for safe keeping and since I won't need it on the flight I kept this in my backpack with my DSLR camera.
Reading Material
It's my own little tradition to buy and bring a new book with me when I travel. Matched has been sitting on my Book Depository wishlist for such a long time, and it's turned out to be a great read so far! If you enjoyed the Delirium series, you'll enjoy this book!
 


Itouch and Headphones
 I know, this is basic survival, right? I always make sure to bring my own headphones on flights with me, since I tend to watch a lot of movies. I like having my Itouch handy in case I need to quickly write something or I feel like listening to my own music. I also ended up editing blog photos on my flight, so it made my time productive too!


In-flight Skin care 
I kept it nice and simple for this flight. My current favorite hand cream by Palmer's, EOS Lip Balm, Lush Ultrabalm, leave-in hair conditioner, and my Neutrogena Naturals Night Cream in a small pottle. I made sure to bring my favorite products that are super-moisturizing and make me feel comfortable during the flight, which is very important. I kept it all in a clear make-up bag that I got at Walmart last year, they make travel so easy!


Just-in-case Essentials 
If you hadn't guessed by now, I'm one of these people who likes to be prepared for anything. This little black bag is usually always with me in a handbag and since my bag can get cluttered with all kinds of stuff it makes things a bit more organized. This bag includes ear plugs, spare headphones, mints, Rescue Pastilles for anxiety, band aids and single glass cleaner wipes. Believe me when I say that there's usually more, but I toned it down for the flight.

Apart from the other necessities like my wallet, passport, and sunglasses, that's about all I brought with me on my flight! Here are a few more flying and packing tips:
  • Keep it simple when you pack your bags, but make sure you have things with you to make sure you're comfortable.
  • Write out a quick list the week before you leave and keep going back to it as you think of more things you might need, or cross off the things you don't. 
  • Always buy water to bring on the plane with you. Depending on how long your flight is, buying a sports drink like Powerade or Gatorade is great for quick hydration. 
  • Rolling your clothes instead of folding them really does save you room in your bag.
  • Bring a light scarf with you when you fly since planes can get cold, and it can also double as a pillow if you want to try get some sleep. 
  • If you want to get your hot meal before everyone else on the flight order the vegetarian option. They're still delicious and worth the envious looks from other passengers. I've usually finished mine before they start serving the standard meals. 
If you have any thoughts or tips on packing/flying leave them in the comments, I'd love to hear from you! Don't forget to leave me your blog link too =)

Until next time x. 
Bloglovin' - MarvelSteph
Twitter - @MarvelSteph91
Instagram - @marvelsteph
Pinterest - marvelsteph

No comments:

Post a Comment