February Book Wrap-Up & March TBR

Thursday 3 March 2016




Hello Everyone!
I'm not sure why, but February felt like a slow-month for reading. I only got through three books (one was a bit chunky) so it was still productive and I really enjoyed the books that I did pick up. Now that it's a new month I am feeling excited about some upcoming books that are being released and a few purchases that have arrived, so let's get to it!

Here's what I read in February:



Crown of Midnight, by Sarah J. Maas 
After I finished Throne of Glass last year, I was a bit reluctant to dive into this sequel. Not because I didn't love the first book (which I really did, it was amazing) but because second books have often ruined entire series for me. BUT thankfully I was wrong because I was blown away by this book and it had me hooked from the very beginning. We get to learn more about the land outside of the castle in this one, which I loved and it made Celeana's position gradually more important. I'm not going to spoil anything, but the characters were a lot more likable in this one and there were new elements that were thrown into the plot that I just sank my teeth into. I highly recommend this series if you want a bad-ass heroine mixed with a bit of mystery and romance.

The Power of Six, by Pitticus Lore 
This is the sequel to the I Am Number Four novel (and movie) which I really enjoyed reading last year. I was craving something similar, so I thought why not just continue on in the series? I thought that this would just be in Number Seven's perspective, but we actually get alternating chapters between her and John Smith from book one, which I think is really awesome. It sets off a couple of weeks after the events of the first book and we are thrown into the action again pretty quickly. The sci-fi elements of this series are really well balanced and the intensity of the plot keep you glued to the pages. It was a little slow-paced, but once I got to the action sequences I was enjoying it again. Definitely going to pick up the third one!

The Son of Neptune, by Rick Riordan 
This is one of those books that has been sitting on my shelf for a while now, just waiting for me to be in the mood to read it. I really felt like an adventure book and the Percy Jackson novels are always perfect for that.
We are back to following Percy in this sequel, along with the perspectives of two other characters, Frank and Hazel. I wasn't blown away by the new characters in the last book, but these two were amazing and it was great that we got to see from all of their perspectives. You could see them all getting braver and more comfortable with who they are as the book goes on. I also loved that we have a look into the Roman Camp Jupiter and how different it is from the Greek Camp Half-Blood. A lot of the Latin terms took me back to my Roman studies at university (my studying wasn't a total waste of time after all!) I enjoyed this sequel a lot more than I thought I would and I'm really interested to see what the rest of the series is going to be like.

March TBR  



A Court of Thorns and Roses, by Sarah J. Maas 
You may have seen that I bought myself this for Valentines day (just because) and I'm really excited to finally dig into it. I've seen so may people rave about how amazing it is and I'm a big fan of Sarah J. Mass so I know it's going to be good. It's a loose re-telling of Beauty and the Beast, and I do love my fairy tales!

Illuminae, by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman 
I first came across this book by one of my favorite BookTubers Little Book Owl and her reaction after finishing it was the ultimate definition of a book-hangover. From what I can grasp of the plot, it's an intense sci-fi that follows Kady and Ezra as they try to survive a plague outbreak, after they have broken up. It's honestly one of the most stunning books I have ever held, the pages are made up of emails, images and instant messages between the characters, as opposed to written chapters. This one's gonna be good!

Cinder, by Marissa Meyer
This one has been on my radar for a while now and I've heard so many people say that it's one of their favorite series. It's a re-telling of my favorite fairy tale, Cinderella, set in a world where there is a deadly plague threatening earth. With an evil queen and handsome prince, that's all the motivation I need to read this <3


Did you read any good books in February? Let me know in the comments!
Steph x.



8 comments :

  1. I just finished the first Percy Jackson book and really enjoyed it. Can't wait to read more!
    Cinder has been on my list for ages, I really look forward to reading what you think about it =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Percy Jackson is such a great series. Just wait until you read the last book, it was one of my favorites! Thanks : ) I have a feeling it's going to be a good one.
      Steph x.

      Delete
  2. I've had no time for reading for fun recently but after my degree I'd love to give these a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw no, that was one thing I disliked about uni, no reading time : ( Let me know if you do!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  3. I seriously miss reading books, I have absolutely no time for them and that sucks. I'm excited to read how you will like Cinder. It sure sounds interesting :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw no, not even before bed? Reading makes me so happy. I will definitely have a review up after I finish it : )
      Steph x.

      Delete
  4. I need to push myself to finish ToG but I'm struggling!! I loved Cinder though, need to get around to picking up the sequel! xx

    charliecp.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled for a while too but it gets better! Glad to hear it, I seriously cannot wait to read it : D
      Steph x.

      Delete