Health & Fitness Update - June

Thursday 30 June 2016





It's been a bit of a roller-coaster month, but that's all in the nature of fitness journeys. I've found new ways to challenge myself this month and ways to make my gym time more fun. I've also had a big lesson in listening to what my body is trying to tell me. I'm really bad for not stretching enough or rolling out my muscles properly. Lesson learned!


Circuit Training

I've discovered a new favorite way to train this month! It's something that my trainer got me doing at our weekly boxing session and I started to apply it to my everyday training routine. I basically set up a circuit of three exercises and I have to go straight from one to the other without stopping. It's kinda like combining cardio and strength training, so you're toning while working up a sweat too! I've been trying to test my breathing a lot more and this is perfect training for it. I ended a few circuits by collapsing on the floor in exhaustion, but that's how I know I've worked hard!


Challenge: Muscle-ups!

During the month, my trainer took me through a new chest/back program which involved pull-ups. I've always struggled to master them, but now I'm more determined than ever to work on my upper-body strength and get really good at them. He mentioned that when I can do 10 in a row, he's going to help me learn how to do muscle-ups (pulling yourself up and over the bar) which looks so cool! Not many people at our gym can do it, so of course I took that as a challenge. I think I got a little too excited because I now have a problem with my shoulders (I'll explain below) but before I go away on holiday I want to master those muscle-ups!


Shoulder Injury / Sports Massage

This has definitely been my biggest lesson from June, and it's been hard. In about the middle of the month, I was working on my chest and back program when I discovered my shoulders were so tight and sore that I couldn't finish my sets without doing damage. My trainer told me that I had probably pulled something and had to lay off the upper body work for a little while. Which has killed me! You guys know that I love lifting and not being able to do it has called for a lot of restraint. I did an arm program a week later, but my shoulders got bad again. Since it wasn't healing, we figured it was because I had really bad knots in both of my shoulders. I booked in for my first ever sports massage and walked away feeling more relaxed than I had in a long time! I would definitely recommend one if you ever feel like your muscles are constantly tight.


Gym Confidence 

A couple months back I wrote another update where wearing shorts to gym was a big push for my confidence. It must have worked because I've been choosing shorts over leggings most days now! I feel pretty great about it. I even got told that I've been distracting some of the men when my trainer is working with them, which I find hilarious! Am I actually that girl at the gym now? The only kind of gym confidence I'm currently working on is believing in myself that I can do new exercises. I can be quick to doubt myself sometimes, so I need to cut that out and be confident in what my body can do. It's going to be a goal of mine for July!


Fitspo: Lucy from It's Sweet is always in style Blog

Even though she lives thousands of miles away from me, I've finally found myself the perfect gym buddy! If you guys don't know Lucy yet, she is one of my favorite bloggers (along with her twin sister Kelly!) and we did a collab a while back. We've been cheering each other along as we both work hard on our fitness. And this girl is smashing it! She is looking amazing (ab goals!) and just keeps inspiring me to grow my confidence and keep becoming a better version of myself. One day I will visit her and Kelly in Florida and we can be proper gym buddies, but for now Lucy is one of my biggest fitness inspirations. 



Only eight weeks until I go on holiday, so I gotta keep working extra-hard until then!

How's your fitness been this June?
Steph x.


4 comments :

  1. I've said it before but god I just LOVE your tattoo!

    I'm also getting well into the gym recently (pre holiday panic work outs are real!!!)

    Katie xx ¦ ♥ La Coco Noire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you :) Nice work on hitting the gym! It will all be worth it don't worry. Keep it up lovely!
      Steph x.

      Delete
  2. Aww Steph, that was the sweetest surprise getting to the end of your post and reading that. Seriously thank you so much, that just made me day! You are awesome and inspire me so much too! I love having a gym buddy and being able to motivate each other. I look forward to your posts every day and enjoy having a little me time and relaxing while reading them. You keep pushing me with those hip thrusts, you are seriously killing it and inspire me every day with all that you are learning and doing at the gym and I love that you are gaining more confidence and wearing your shorts, you look amazing and you are encouraging me, I just have a little ways to go before I feel I can get there but thank you for the inspiration!!! I would absolutely love to hit the gym together one day too! Goals!!! :) xxxx

    Lucy x |~ SweetIsAlwaysInStyle || Lifestyle Blog ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to send you a message and tell you, but I'm glad it was such a great surprise! I feel the exact same about you, it's so lovely having someone keep me motivated and inspired. You'll rock those shorts before you know it!
      Steph x.

      Delete