Daily Blog: Sunday Meal Prep & Doughnut Fail

Sunday 16 October 2016








Hello, Everyone!
I've been missing doing these daily blogs, so I thought it was time that I brought them back!




Seeing as I had waffles for breakfast yesterday (they were still healthy ones) I wanted to go back to my usual porridge this morning. I'm still making it the same way with oats, almond milk, cinnamon, and a little bit of vanilla whey powder. Bringing back my favorite mug too!




I spent the morning catching up on some blog posts, leaving comments, and scrolling through Pinterest. All while listening to YouTube in the background. But now I'm having my pre-run snack of multi-grain toast covered in peanut butter and raisins. Perfect for some energy, which I'm gonna need because we are hitting the hills today! 





I just have to tie my hair back and put on my favorite moisturizer, then I'll be ready to go!





 It was such a beautiful day for a run and it seems like the Spring weather has finally arrived. Lots of people were out today, which is always nice to see.





Lunch time!







Super-hungry when I got home, so I made french toast with these gluten-free buns. I scrambled the leftover egg mix and cooked up some spinach and kale for some green goodness. Topped with feta cheese and it was delicious!




After eating that, I was still a bit hungry. To stop myself snacking on something naughty, I just made a quick smoothie bowl of: pear, frozen blueberries, tamarillo, oats, yogurt, and a green smoothie mix I had in the fridge. Not my best bowl, but it hit the spot.

Quick shower and now it's time to start my meal prep!






Lately I've changed up my protein source from tofu to quorn. If you're not sure what that is, it's a vegetarian meat substitute made from mycroprotein (something to do with fungi and mushrooms apparently.) The texture is so good and these pieces are amazing on pizza!

I'm just frying them up with some carrots in a little bit of olive oil. The idea with meal prep is to have 1/2 of it be vegetables, so that's why I added the carrots to boost it up from the protein. I also added a good helping of lemongrass seasoning and chili flakes for flavor/spice kick.




I got that out of the pan to cool, then put in both of these brown rice and quinoa packs. Since nobody wants plain rice, I mixed it with some canola oil, grated turmeric (to help with those sore muscles) some cumin, and a little soy sauce. This rice mix not only gives me carbs, but another hit of protein too.







To put my meals together, I start with 1/2 a cup of rice in each. Then I put in a cup of frozen green vegetable mix, followed by even portions of my quorn. This week's prep was so easy, and it's so satisfying to see the containers ready to go in the fridge for the week.





While I was putting my prep together, I also managed to make up a recipe I found in the Sunday paper magazine for "Smart Cookies." There's no flour in these, just oats, peanut butter, cinnamon, maple syrup etc. I did substitute coconut oil for butter, which doesn't hold together as well. They're a bit fragile, but taste like porridge so I'm a fan.






Now for the most exciting part of the day: making chocolate protein donuts! The one thing about eating healthy, is that you've gotta have your healthy treats to go with it.

To make these chocolate, obviously I have my flavored whey powder, but I also added 2 teaspoons of raw cacao powder for flavor and antioxidants. I also reduced the stevia sugar to just 2 teaspoons, since my whey is sweet and I don't want to over do it. Not gonna lie, I'm so tempted to eat the dough before I've even had the chance to cook it! I'm a bit worried because the dough is a lot runnier this time, so we will have to hope for the best.





They turned out very different from last time, although my previous donuts had soy protein, not whey. But I'm gonna run with it and see how they taste later on with the icing.

I spent the rest of the afternoon getting blog organized for the week ahead. I wrote out some goals, tackled my to-do list, did some writing, and organized my blog board for the week. I need to get on top of things better and it feels good to have them in order.




Dinner tonight was grilled mushrooms and peppers in a spelt wrap with roasted sweet potato/ordinary potatoes and asparagus on the side. This is a typical meal for me and Mum: a big ol' plate of vegetables!





I spent my Sunday evening binge-watching the Big Bang Theory, getting some blog work done, and I had a protein doughnut for dessert. It was pretty dry, so I had to add yogurt on the side. Overall, not a bad night!


I hope everyone had an awesome weekend. Let me know if you want more of these Daily Blogs!

What was the best part of your Sunday?
Steph x.


Follow me on Bloglovin' and never miss a post!

2 comments :

  1. Cookies that taste like porridge? sounds delicious to me! :) I really like these daily blogs, your meals always look amazing & reading about you going on so many runs inspires me to get more active again myself as well x

    Sara’sChapters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I think I just love anything with oats in it. I'm so glad you like them!! I'm planning on putting them up 3-4 times a week now : ) It's means so much that I can inspire you x.

    ReplyDelete